Wednesday, June 6, 2007

How Healthy is your Cereal ?


This week Room Two have been researching just how healthy cereals really are. We became interested when Lennard brought an article from The Press called 'Site Lifts Lid on Cereal Contents'.


Our main question is how healthy is your cereal but we have also been investigating how much sugar, fibre, fat, energy and salt is in it as well.



So far we have investigated 18 cereals and only one has been healthy and that is Weet-Bix. Three have been unhealthy they are Milo cereal, Light & Right and Crunchy Nut. The rest were moderately healthy. We had different ways of finding out how healthy cereals are, they are:


Fat: Low-less than 1.5 gms\100 gms Medium-1.5-5 gms\ 100 gms High- 5+ gms\100 gms


Sugar: Low 15 gms\100 gms Medium-15.1-30 gms\100 gms High-30+ gms\100 gms


Fibre: Low-less than 5 gms\100 gms Medium-5-10 gms\100 gms High-10+\100 gms


Salt: Low-less than 300 mgs\100 gms Medium-300-450 mgs\100 gms High-400+\100 gms


By Cassi, Sean and Josie.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Oscar, I am in room 11 - Why were the weetbix so healthy? Was it because they had no sugar? Or was it that the grain was healthy in the weetbix?
I thk it was the grn.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, my name is Kate and I am a student in Room 1 at Korokoro school in
Year 8.
I enjoyed reading this post because it was real interesting I never knew there were so many unhealthy cereals!! Its great to see that those unhealthy cereals have been revealed.

You can find my blog at http://siobhankate.blogspot.com/.
My class blog is at www.roomonekorokoroschool.blogspot.com
And our podcasts are at http://roomonekorokoroschool.podomatic.com
We would love your comments!